2024 US Presidential Election Thread

• Thread starter ryzno
  • 1,515 comments
There are only a few dozen people in Alaska though.
Total or voting?

It's just a bad look for Ohio if it comes down to that state being the tiebreaker and one of the parties running election interference to get their candidate a victory.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...oe-biden-ohio-ballot-mike-dewine/73620775007/

This is getting ridiculous. The governor even used a bit of language in describing how annoyed he is by Republicans in the legislature.

DeWine already knows he's on the chopping block for 2026 as well as mulitple legislators this November, although the likelihood of any big changes is small. Ohio has been a victim of gerrymandering for many decades, still strongly favoring rural conservatives despite large demographic shifts to urban areas. Republicans are viewing this opportunity to keep Biden off the ballot as their last stand to power. It would likely result in the absolute implosion of their party as it's common knowledge that they've stooped to simply doing hateful things to maintain control but they would celebrate it as loudly as possible.

Bottom line that all of you need to know is that currently, Biden is not allowed to be on Ohio's ballot in November.
I don't understand why this is an issue in the first place. States have laws, and these laws are known about well in advance of planning when a national convention for either party will be. I would have thought that one of the first considerations when choosing a date would be "make sure it's early enough that we can meet all deadlines for certifying candidates", but it would seem that historically that hasn't really been much of a priority for anyone.

I can't bring myself to say that enforcing the rules is a bad thing. The rules should probably be changed to not be stupid, but the Democrats should also probably have been on the lookout for these sorts of legalistic technicalities after the whole 2020 election fiasco. Trusting anything to historic precedent and good will at this point is practically an own goal.

I don't understand why this is an issue in the first place. States have laws, and these laws are known about well in advance of planning when a national convention for either party will be. I would have thought that one of the first considerations when choosing a date would be "make sure it's early enough that we can meet all deadlines for certifying candidates", but it would seem that historically that hasn't really been much of a priority for anyone.

I can't bring myself to say that enforcing the rules is a bad thing. The rules should probably be changed to not be stupid, but the Democrats should also probably have been on the lookout for these sorts of legalistic technicalities after the whole 2020 election fiasco. Trusting anything to historic precedent and good will at this point is practically an own goal.
I agree completely. I'm not sure why Ohio's law is the way it is but the nomination deadline seems to be awkwardly early. The funny part is that both parties have messed up the deadline and the legislature has had to fix it - for both the RNC and DNC in both 2012 and 2020. The law is consistently described as "obscure" which effectively means "stupid and pointless" by any other definition. They've had to fix it twice very recently so how Ohio Democrats and their lawyers didn't know about this I have no idea. Turns out, neither party really knew about it somehow. In both of those previous cases, a stopgap bill was passed with an emergency clause to make it immediately effective.

https://ohiocapitaljournal.com/2024/05/08/ohio-lawmakers-err-in-attempt-to-fix-biden-ballot-problem/

That article is from May 8. As I said in my post yesterday, the effort to address this immediately failed and did not get passed by Thursday May 9. Genius. Democrats had to vote down a Senate proposal because Republicans added some ******** to it (of course) and the house adjourned without voting on anything, because why would they work for publicly guaranteed salaries?

https://www.statenews.org/governmen...ohio-ballot-while-house-skips-voting-on-a-fix

I agree completely. I'm not sure why Ohio's law is the way it is but the nomination deadline seems to be awkwardly early. The funny part is that both parties have messed up the deadline and the legislature has had to fix it - for both the RNC and DNC in both 2012 and 2020. The law is consistently described as "obscure" which effectively means "stupid and pointless" by any other definition. They've had to fix it twice very recently so how Ohio Democrats and their lawyers didn't know about this I have no idea. Turns out, neither party really knew about it somehow. In both of those previous cases, a stopgap bill was passed with an emergency clause to make it immediately effective.

https://ohiocapitaljournal.com/2024/05/08/ohio-lawmakers-err-in-attempt-to-fix-biden-ballot-problem/

That article is from May 8. As I said in my post yesterday, the effort to address this immediately failed and did not get passed by Thursday May 9. Genius. Democrats had to vote down a Senate proposal because Republicans added some ******** to it (of course) and the house adjourned without voting on anything, because why would they work for publicly guaranteed salaries?

https://www.statenews.org/governmen...ohio-ballot-while-house-skips-voting-on-a-fix
I wouldn't expect any less for the state admitted just before Alaska and Hawaii.
Ohio isn't the 17th state.

I wouldn't expect any less for the state admitted just before Alaska and Hawaii.
Ohio isn't the 17th state.
I'm surprised Ohio's tourism department hasn't tried to market this in some way. Heck, that kind of thing comes from hotel and rental car taxes, so I ought to have vote in that matter.

(Though I suppose Texas is my most-visited state based on nights stayed.)

Last edited:
@Blitz24 Going off your post about Ohio, I went down another territorial evolution of the USA rabbithole and I'm now reading about the 1993 Apology Resolution in which the United States Federal Government actually admitted that it took Hawaii and reconstituted it as US territory against the consent of the Hawaiian people.

Anyone who'd serve on a jury trying Trump ain't American, says senator who single-handedly held up pay and advancements for the entire US Army for months:

Last edited:
Anyone who'd serve on a jury trying Trump ain't American, says senator who single-handedly held up pay and avancements for the entire US Army for months:

Tuberville isn't American either (or at least I pretend he isn't one).

Sitting on a jury is considered your civic duty as an American….
It's almost as if he's trying to insinuate that the jury is made up of illegal immigrants. :lol:

Meanwhile Governor Kristi "puppy killer" Noem has been barred from six Native American reservations in her state of South Dakota after alleging that illegal immigrants were responsible for crime on those reservations and accusing tribal leaders of personally benefitting from drug cartel operators.

Last edited:
She was hoping to run for VP but the puppy killing appears to be a step too far even for the deplorables.

As for that "80,000" crowd:

Last edited:
I don't think you guys understand the level of mistrust/paranoia of China in the USA. Yes there has been a flood of cheap Chinese products in the USA for the last 40 years - BUT, 1 - they have historically benefited US companies in some way, and 2 - where they don't benefit US companies, they are coming under increasingly heavy scrutiny.

Whereas Apple using cheap Chinese labor to make a lot of Americans rich (or more precisely a few Americans SUPER rich) is generally acceptable - having Shein or Temu just dump goods directly (via de minimis loopholes) into US buyer's hands with little to no US economic benefit is looking increasingly untenable for US regulators.

Dewalt selling cordless drills under a historically American nameplate but using Chinese manufacturing is a much different animal that GWM selling state-subsidized cars directly to US consumers. Japanese and Korean automakers were able to make inroads into the US in the 70s-90s, but that doesn't mean that regulators didn't throttle it or make sure that it provided US economic benefit. Nearly every Japanese automaker makes most of their US-market cars in the US. The Koreans are following suit. Asian & European market pickups and SUVs are basically not sold in the US at all due to heavy tariffs. I sincerely doubt any US presidential administration or congress is going to let Chinese cars flood the market - and if they are sold here at all, it will probably be under some kind of agreement where they are manufactured in Kentucky or South Carolina or whatever. There is no situation in which Chinese cars are allowed to be sold unrestricted or without heavy tariffs in the US - the US auto industry is far too important to American identity and to politicians of both parties, particularly in critical mid-western swing states where that industry is concentrated. The democrats will do basically anything to avoid losing union votes, and the Republicans will do basically anything to thwart China gaining any advantage over the US.

@Keef Am I wrong?
Well, I wasn't wrong. Biden is raising tariffs on imported Chinese cars to a whopping 100%.

Latest Posts

Back