Gran Turismo World Series 2024 Begins 17 April

• Thread starter Pfei
  • 11,250 comments
Well, I did it...I joined the dark side and bought a wheel! I've been threatening to do this for about four years now, but lazy-boy racing with a controller is not a bad life. I hope I don't miss it. Had some cash and couldn't resist the pull this time.

One thing I do know - I'm not entering any live races anytime soon! Sure, I could pull out the controller and enter, but I'm going to dedicate my seat time to taming this beast (logi G pro). So far, I've found that when things go wrong, they go catastrophically wrong!

So icycls is on hiatus for a bit, here and in the dailies. I'll follow along here, I do enjoy the race banter. Maybe start a new account for license tests and some practice online.

(interesting however, I'm within a half second of gold in the nissan tt w/aids, I'll keep working on it. I didn't think I would even sniff gold for months)

Good luck everyone!

Well, I did it...I joined the dark side and bought a wheel!
Joining Welcome Home GIF

Well, I did it...I joined the dark side and bought a wheel! I've been threatening to do this for about four years now, but lazy-boy racing with a controller is not a bad life. I hope I don't miss it. Had some cash and couldn't resist the pull this time.

One thing I do know - I'm not entering any live races anytime soon! Sure, I could pull out the controller and enter, but I'm going to dedicate my seat time to taming this beast (logi G pro). So far, I've found that when things go wrong, they go catastrophically wrong!

So icycls is on hiatus for a bit, here and in the dailies. I'll follow along here, I do enjoy the race banter. Maybe start a new account for license tests and some practice online.

(interesting however, I'm within a half second of gold in the nissan tt w/aids, I'll keep working on it. I didn't think I would even sniff gold for months)

Good luck everyone!
I'll see you back on DR A grids soon, I'm sure. If you're as quick as you are with a controller then I expect you to run circles around me in a year's time of wheel practice. Enjoy it! It's a frustrating but extremely rewarding transition to make!

the adventures of pete and pete betrayal GIF

Enjoy that dark side, you traitor!!!

but seriously; good luck with coming to terms to using that wheel. Hope you will be even faster with one of those.

Us controller plebs will miss you...

Last edited:

Good luck everyone!

Nice. I have the logi pro as well and love it. Only time I broke out the controller was for some of the gold dirt track circuit experiences but otherwise I can never go back. Wait until you try PSVR2 with the wheel setup mind blown

GT2/GT3: Just some more things in case they are helpful to you.
1. Intermediates life after 2 dry laps, at +5BB (highlighting the strategy that you can probably pit at lap 10 since the risk of sliding off at the lap 11 Spoon is pretty high):
View attachment 1356248

2. Wets life after 2 dry laps, at +5BB:
View attachment 1356249

I was assuming that I should switch to wets instead of intermediates because I had to absolutely crawl through laps 14 and 15 on the intermediates; and this was just the practice, meaning I had zero fuel weight + zero tire wear and hence I was faster than I would be in the actual race (also hence less rain than what I will get in the race).
View attachment 1356250

But I was slower on wets than on intermediates on laps 12 and 13. The wets were also barely faster than intermediates in heavy rain conditions (laps 14 and 15).
View attachment 1356269
This matches my persistent experience in this game, which is that even in the wettest conditions you're ever likely to actually see, the Wet tires are only a very small advantage at best.

The only thing I've done to prepare for Suzuka is set a quali time in the TT 2::00.4xx (Porsche). This is a 75-80 min race minimum, so practising a race scenario is irrelevant imo. My last 2 GTWS races at Suzuka have finished with a 1st and 2nd. Rain adds the unpredictability factor, especially as its such a narrow course. As long as you pit for inters before lap 13, I can't really see what other variables the weather will throw at us. Also, my mum is in town, visiting from the UK, so practice time isn't really viable while she's here. I'm quietly confident about this race, and as long as I keep things tidy and consistent, I don't see why I can't finish well. It's gonna be another 300 point lobby for me. So I'm expecting aggressive drivers around me. I'm going for a more measured approach this round. Good luck to everyone taking part.

Last edited:
Managed a respectable Q6, P5 at Deep Forest last Wednesday

I am prepping for Suzuka with the Peugeot RCZ FF (GT2 are racing with GR4), good thing the race is on RH... After 15 lap on dry, front tires are at 75%, back tires are 100%.
But I feel this car is light and fast, 2:11.338 put me 510th on leaerboard as of now, looking forward for the race.

Reading on your comments, remind me I should prepare for rain...

Last edited:

Good luck everyone!

Congrats on your venture over to the dark side. We’ve been waiting for you.

Can’t wait to be racing with you regularly once again 😁

IMG_7021.jpeg

Hate that I’ve had very little practice and going to miss so much of this season. Missed the last races due to holiday and I’m going to miss the last race too at Fuji. 3 races for me then

Finally jumped on today for a an hour. Did a mini race run in time trial to get an understanding for the weather. Looks like lap 11 for the safe option and lap 12 for the risky strategy. Spoon was a nightmare for me in the practice, went straight off on lap 12. Think I saw lap 24/25/26 for the dry tyres in the last run GT1 league did last year.
Be interesting to see if we have that new wet physics were you drive off the racing line for better traction and also if we have that track bug where the cars behind the leader have a dry line forming.
Looking forward to the race tomorrow. Looked absolutely epic last time in GT1 leagues.

What would be awesome, is if PD pulls a fast one and uses the same weather pattern, but just starts us “later”. And we have to deal with the next cell. Or hell, even if we started in wet conditions and we have to go inters/dry/whatever the next cell brings. Could even be somewhat of a fuel saver

PD game design rant incoming.

I made a new account this week solely to race the Saturday Manus GT2/GT3 races, as I cannot race Saturday nights.

As soon as I unlocked Sports mode, I stopped the Cafe Menu Books (tedious stuff, honestly).

I jumped into Suzuka an hour ago, completely fresh and unaware of the havoc the weather would cause. I went into the pits 40 seconds clear, only to realize I had no IM tires available—bugger, oh well, 45 minutes of my day thrown away.

I thought I'd go and buy myself some wet tires—guess what, I haven't completed the Menu Book to unlock the "Extreme" section in Tuning in order to buy wet tires.

When you rent cars in Sports Mode, it should unlock all tires available. I don't see the logic in unlocking Sports mode before unlocking my ability to equip wet tires. I really do question that brain trust at PD. All the gear but no idea.

I thought I'd go and buy myself some wet tires—guess what, I haven't completed the Menu Book to unlock the "Extreme" section in Tuning in order to buy wet tires.
The extreme tuning parts are not unlocked via menu book but with collector level 7. The base tuning shop is unlocked via menu book but it's one of the first 2 or 3.

When are the Asia/Australia guys starting? Wanna see if it is a copy/paste or different weather pattern

Edit: found some Japanese streamers in youtube, but all GT2. Probably just wait for Omega. He goes live in 45min

Last edited:
When are the Asia/Australia guys starting? Wanna see if it is a copy/paste or different weather pattern

Edit: found some Japanese streamers in youtube, but all GT2. Probably just wait for Omega. He goes live in 45min
Sleepy Oceanics. The Euro races have already started with no preview help :(

I love you all, guys: this wouldn't have been possible without your rain knowledgment and 4WD supremacy (of which I've always been the biggest fan).

I never feel comfy with the car in Suzuka, but my performance is usually good. I qualifed 4th despite a 0,5s penalty.

Tried to overtake P3 in the first turn because he made a terrible start, but I ended up losing my place to a TT. Then I lost another place due to my mistakes.

I had a Cayman behind I think he was faster than me, but not faster enough to pass. He eventually got tired of me and pushed me to pass.

I was happy being P7 and knowing I would climb some places with the rain. The rain came just like you have been saying: in Spoon around lap 9. I did my stop at the end of lap 10 (probably one lap earlier than optimal, to make sure I avoided the guy in the Cayman). After two laps I realized I was going to be P2, so great...

...and then I realized I was wrong: the leader was on slicks! I reached him in half a lap. Now I only had to not crash and keep the 8 seconds gap! And I did!

1000068114.jpg

Last edited:
Quick report. EMEA, GT2, mid B/S, 109 points lobby, first slot.

Blew qualifying and ended up 14th on the grid.
On lap 2 I touched the car returning from off track and spun at 130R and that left me dead last.
Then I caught up with 15th car and punted them before the chicane. They went off, I waited for them to rejoin, but shortly after they quitted the race. So I was dead last and with some 40 seconds deficit to the leading car.

And then the race started for me. Waited for lap 10, very carefully through Spoon and full fire for the rest of the lap and up to hairpin on lap 11, then super carefully through Spoon again gaining three places in that spot alone. Pitted at the end of lap 11 for full wets.
Yes, full wets, because last two laps are a washout and I believe I'd be faster on them than inters.
On lap 14 I was 6th and 12 seconds to 5th, my pace on wets were superior but not enough to catch that 5th before the end. So finished 6th with 80something points.

GTWS24-Manu4-1-result.jpg

Some people came to this race completely unprepared, some didn't even had tires to change (many quitters).
Considering running it again, maybe with better qualifying I would have chance for something more?

Last edited:
GT2, low B, Door #13, 83pts for the win

Quali went good. P2

Suzuka Quali.jpg

Race started very well, was right behind P1 after the hairpin and next to him on the run to spoon but got pushed a little to the side and ran into the dirt. Back to P5 😞

Closed the small gap to the belgian driver in front of me and was about to overtake him when he pushed me hard to the side. This little game happened 3 times. The last of those cost me about 4s.

Decided to not attack anymore because it was obvious that the guy would defend with dirty moves to keep his place. Didn't want to risk my race. He overtook the Megane ahead of him on the run to the degners. Looked a bit dirty from behind but can't say for sure.

The next laps were not good. Felt like I was faster then the Renault but made many mistakes so was stuck until the rain hit.

Pitted in lap 10 like all before me and, don't know what happened there, but at Spoon 3 of the 4 guys in front of me were off track which gave me P2, 15s behind P1.

The Caymen struggled really hard for the last 3 laps and I came within 3s off him at the end. 1 or 2 laps more and I could have been on his tail and maybe get P1.

Aweful start to the race with a happy ending so to speak 😂 79Pts for P2. Gladly take it

Suzuka Race.jpg

Last edited:

Omega is now driving as we speak. In lap 4

I did my stop at the end of lap 10 (probably one lap earlier than optimal
I am most likely going to pit at lap 10 because in practice, I had pretty hard time on lap 11 Spoon during practices. I felt that I lost more time crawling through the lap 11 Spoon on slicks vs if I had simply pit at lap 10. So, your pit strategy was probably optimal and for sure, a lot safer!

-------

Sigh, ever since I moved from west coast USA to east coast USA, I now have to wait all way too the noon to be able to race, unlike 9AM in past. I would have liked to be done with GTWS the first thing in the morning.

Last edited:
I am most likely going to pit at lap 10 because in practice, I had pretty hard time on lap 11 Spoon during practices. I felt that I lost more time crawling through the lap 11 Spoon on slicks vs if I had simply pit at lap 10. So, your pit strategy was probably optimal and for sure, a lot safer!

-------

Sigh, ever since I moved from west coast USA to east coast USA, I now have to wait all way too the noon to be able to race, unlike 9AM in past. I would have liked to be done with GTWS the first thing in the morning.
Yes, after watching me and my rivals in the replay I'm starting to think lap 10 is better.

Also, I've realized the guy in the TT in my race made a terrible mistake. He was ahead, he was fast, he stopped at lap 11...

...to put slicks.

Racing under protest but we rarely get a chance to play in the rain, and may as well take advantage of having the weather walkthrough to grab a decent result. P7 to P4 just by knowing to pit lap 10.

IMG_4346.jpeg

IMG_4344.jpeg

Honestly a bit boring. The only interest was whether to go inters or wets. Was a bit sketchy the last couple of laps on IMs, on the edge of aquaplaning down the straight.

Latest Posts

Back