GT Racing - GT1, GT3, Blancpain Endurance Series & National GT SeriesSports Cars 

Sam Neary will be driving for Madpanda Motorsports at the Spa 24h this year:

Last year Sam was driving a Huracan GT3 for Grasser Team Racing, but his car was retired after about 8h. Madpanda are fielding an AMG GT3, and Sam already drives an AMG GT3 in British GT with his father Richard - they came second overall in the last round (the Silverstone 500), a fantastic result for a small team.

I met Richard in the bar at Spa last year and have followed their progress ever since. I'm not a bit gutted, however, that I chose not to go back to Spa this year, opting instead for the Nurburgring 24h (in 3 weeks time!), however I will be following the Spa 24h with interest!

Incidentally, the bottom right photo of the madpanda car arriving in the town of Spa above, I may well be in that picture on the extreme left hand side :P

Last edited:
British GT is at Donington for a 3 hr race this afternoon, starting at 1300 BST and live on YouTube.

It's some day for motorsport today, with the Monaco GP on this afternoon, BTCC at Snetterton, GT Open at Spa and the Indy 500 tonight.

I am planning to watch British GT live, and catch a bit of BTCC as well. Will watch the Monaco GP highlights on C4 later.

Ooft... very heavy rain at Turn 1 at Donington and it has caused absolutely carnage - and it was very close to being disastrous.

At least 7 cars aquaplaned and went off at Turn 1, some of them at quite some speed. At least one car hit another on the way through the gravel, but fortunately most of them were able to avoid the other cars somehow. One car even went off behind the safety car and narrowly avoided the tractor that had already been deployed to pick up some of the cars out of the gravel.

Red flag now :redflag:

Last edited:
Ooft... very heavy rain at Turn 1 at Donington and it has caused absolutely carnage - and it was very close to being disastrous.

At least 7 cars aquaplaned and went off at Turn 1, some of them at quite some speed. At least one car hit another on the way through the gravel, but fortunately most of them were able to avoid the other cars somehow. One car even went off behind the safety car and narrowly avoided the tractor that had already been deployed to pick up some of the cars out of the gravel.

Red flag now :redflag:
Have we learned nothing?

Race cars should NEVER be able to meet tractors or other such heavy recovery vehicles.

Have we learned nothing?

Race cars should NEVER be able to meet tractors or other such heavy recovery vehicles.
This is how close it was...

britgt-don1.jpg

OK, so it's not an F1 car, but the McLaren was spinning and completely out of control by the time it hit the gravel trap. It did hit a couple of cars, and a marshall who had been attending to one of the cars was fortunately not still in the same place he had been just 60 seconds earlier...

-

In the end it was an exciting race, though it was heavily disrputed by the weather and multiple safety cars.

I didn't see exactly what happened to Team Abba Racing, however their bonnet was damaged (presumably after some contact between them and Tse) and they had to tape it up. It was looking good, however, strategy-wise for them, as they came in for slicks before anyone else, and in theory they were set to complete the race without stopping again. Unfortunately, though, they had to pit a again for some reason, but presumably it was because the tape-job on their bonnet hadn't worked. Almost immediately after this double-stop, the safety car came out and gave the entire field a free stop at the worst possible time for Team Abba Racing, and so they ended up finishing a lap down... tough luck, as otherwise they might have scored a second podium in a row.

Last edited:

View attachment 1358954

OK, so it's not an F1 car, but the McLaren was spinning and completely out of control by the time it hit the gravel trap. It did hit a couple of cars, and a marshall who had been attending to one of the cars was fortunately not still in the same place he had been just 60 seconds earlier...

-

In the end it was an exciting race, though it was heavily disrputed by the weather and multiple safety cars.

I didn't see exactly what happened to Team Abba Racing, however their bonnet was damaged (presumably after some contact between them and Tse) and they had to tape it up. It was looking good, however, strategy-wise for them, as they came in for slicks before anyone else, and in theory they were set to complete the race without stopping again. Unfortunately, though, they had to pit a again for some reason, but presumably it was because the tape-job on their bonnet hadn't worked. Almost immediately after this double-stop, the safety car came out and gave the entire field a free stop at the worst possible time for Team Abba Racing, and so they ended up finishing a lap down... tough luck, as otherwise they might have scored a second podium in a row.

Yes, shame for Abba, they always have the worst luck!
Didn't have the worst tactics though, what were Ram even doing?? 😂
Good race though. Was hoping 2 Seas could hang on for the win, but just too much pressure in the end.
Glad I was watching from home though! I was going to go but bailed because of the weather.

View attachment 1358954

I was there and never saw any of that. I was getting soaked down at the Craner curves. I watched the first part of the race from the outside at Holywood and should just have stayed there.

Al Buncombe (driver of the #2 McLaren) was interviewed at the circuit and said something along the lines of that he was told to slow down but a racing driver's slow down is different from a normal person's slow down. Yes, he should have seen the carnage up ahead, but there was a distinct line across the track half way down the pit straight, the first half of which was dry and the latter half completely sodden. The torrential rain was very localised.

My photos.

Donington GT-57 by David Anderson, on Flickr

Donington GT-55 by David Anderson, on Flickr

Donington GT-9 by David Anderson, on Flickr

Donington GT-13 by David Anderson, on Flickr

Donington GT-17 by David Anderson, on Flickr

Donington GT-7 by David Anderson, on Flickr

Last edited:
I was there and never saw any of that. I was getting soaked down at the Craner curves. I watched the first part of the race from the outside at Holywood and should just have stayed there.

Al Buncombe (driver of the #2 McLaren) was interviewed at the circuit and said something along the lines of that he was told to slow down but a racing driver's slow down is different from a normal person's slow down. Yes, he should have seen the carnage up ahead, but there was a distinct line across the track half way down the pit straight, the first half of which was dry and the latter half completely sodden. The torrential rain was very localised.

My photos.

Donington GT-57 by David Anderson, on Flickr

Donington GT-55 by David Anderson, on Flickr

Donington GT-9 by David Anderson, on Flickr

Donington GT-13 by David Anderson, on Flickr

Donington GT-17 by David Anderson, on Flickr

Donington GT-7 by David Anderson, on Flickr

The D2 AMG really gives off the retro livery feels from the 90s.

And that Aston Martin 🤤👌

Latest Posts

Back