GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 32,037 comments
To avoid any further embarrassment, I won't post any foto from the part of my former man-cave which isn't under hostile occupation yet. But here's an exemplary presentation of my racing equipment:

My steering device:

IMG_4422.jpeg

My racing seat (okay, the colour is different)

IMG_4423.jpeg

My tailor-made high-tec footrest (I can't race with my feet on the ground 😇)

IMG_4424.jpeg

Examples for my specialized anti-dehydration device and my racing eyesight-enhancing equipment are also to be seen here.

🥳

Last edited:
It's a labour of love and all about evolution ;)

Kitchen table G29
View attachment 1352279

View attachment 1352280

Wife decided we shouldn't use the dining table for racing :(

I'll show her!

View attachment 1352282

Upgrade! (Sadly none with the TGT2)
View attachment 1352287

And finally she had enough and after years...I got relegated (happily) to the utility room/box room/tiny home office. Win!

View attachment 1352288

The moral of this story is that we are all passionate racers who will go to all sorts or creative lengths to go racing 😉
Did the ironing board work? Would've thought you'd end up in the kitchen.

Are Friday evenings always such a bin fest on here (the game, not this wonderful forum)?

Planned on playing all evening, after one race I've given up for the night to protect my DR. In one race at Atlanta I was rear ended 3 times and side smashed (where they literally turn into you on a straight, or turn the opposite way of the corner) about 5 times. Pointless.

Wasn't even one driver, it was about 3 of them!!!

Need to get better at qualifying.... Consistency isn't always a good thing haha

Seeing as it’s post your rig day, this is my current rig. It’s just home made, but it gets the job done.

View attachment 1352466
View attachment 1352467
Genuinely.... As a Data person.... Whatever is on that white board, I'm bound to love it!!!!

Also mission: get permission for that sort of set up - begins tonight

Last edited:
From the Sim Racing Hardware Sub-forum:

It started life as a humble Driving Force Pro clamped onto a folding wood TV tray table, cheapie office chair with the wheels removed, fat PS3 for GT5 and 6, JVC RX-7000V AV receiver, super budget Sony speakers (SS-B1000 and SS-CR3000), and a Yamaha YST-MSW10 subwoofer.

TV's the same though. Damn thing's a tank.

3D printed wide brake pedal from Amazon, 3D printed magnetic shifter collar from Amazon (adjusted to preload the paddles for shorter throws), and a Darkplates 2.0 from dbrands for the PS5.

full

Last edited:
Is C the new B?

I’m usually a low-to-mid-B driver who occasionally drops to C, but am able to get back to B in a few races.

This week, however, at Suzuka my quali time and race pace has me running mid-pack in C (with the occasional top 5 start and finish).

In other words, C lobbies seem almost as competitive as B lobbies were a few months ago.

In general, the game seems more competitive now. Last week at Mag Center, my qualifying time was 1 second* off the fastest time in the world, but this only put me at ~5,000th. And in most of my B/S races I was starting in the back half of the grid.

I should add that I’m not complaining! Having good races in C/S lobbies and that’s what I care about.

* I realize that this was a short lap, but I’m usually ~3 seconds off the top time, which, iirc, used to be good for ~3,000th.

Is C the new B?

I’m usually a low-to-mid-B driver who occasionally drops to C, but am able to get back to B in a few races.

This week, however, at Suzuka my quali time and race pace has me running mid-pack in C (with the occasional top 5 start and finish).

In other words, C lobbies seem almost as competitive as B lobbies were a few months ago.

In general, the game seems more competitive now. Last week at Mag Center, my qualifying time was 1 second* off the fastest time in the world, but this only put me at ~5,000th. And in most of my B/S races I was starting in the back half of the grid.

I should add that I’m not complaining! Having good races in C/S lobbies and that’s what I care about.

* I realize that this was a short lap, but I’m usually ~3 seconds off the top time, which, iirc, used to be good for ~3,000th.
I think the general speed has increased across the board.

When I joined this forum (2nd time I have behaved mods!) I was joining to gain speed.

A few years down the road and I've found some of that speed...but it's relative to everyone else improving.

I hand in heart think that regardless of DR you are going to face tighter lobbies that this time last year.

There are more than ever track guides, more hours put in etc that's moving things up and to the right.

And more people better at the game or investing in hardware that may or may not help them.

Covid obviously got more people playing the game and those that stuck with it were doing better after more practice.

This isn't intended to be condescending but just a bit more QT will help you escape C and just focus on top 5. B the same thing applies just at the higher end it's A pace.

Focus on QT, circuit experience you'll smash through the C lobbies

Is C the new B?
It could also be equipment related as well.

I don't think we can deny that Fanatec's PS5 offerings have exploded in popularity over the last year or so given how terrible Fanatec was at meeting demand. Those bases and wheels allow racers to drive at a level they might not have had before. Now how many of those C racers are using $1000 worth of gear? I don't know... But the number of new people picking it up, buying the gear and passing though the C ranks as they push on up has to be something.

It reminds me in the early 2010s when I lived in Colorado and mountain biked. There is this app called Strava that can track your rides and you you have virtual leaderboards over ride segments, just like time trialing. This area was full of pro-elite athletes, so usually my times were horrible compared to the elite crowd. Then I bought one of the latest and greatest mountain bikes and over the course of a year I improved and dominated my local home trail to end up fastest (king of the mountain). That lasted 5 months until more people started to get the latest and greatest bikes and so on. Now my time there is probably not that good (haven't looked for years).

Long story short, I think there will be an advantage for people jumping in now getting the latest toys. Obviously ability, skill, talent helps but having nice toys goes a long way to helping here. There's a lot of nice toys now..

It's probably 15' x 15', if that.
Mine is more like 8x8 (it is literally the converted end of the upstairs hallway) and there is no way I would take a photo of it in its current state.

Last edited:
I have to thank @TechnoIsLove for sharing his Suzuka QT in the G70. Watching your Q lap helped me drop .5 seconds off my QT. It really helped a lot, especially in the opening hairpin - but mostly in the Spoon Curve - I just couldn't figure out what I was supposed to be doing, line/speed-wise.

1714769491687.png

This had me starting P6 in the last race, instead of P10 or worse. Although I have to say "Attrition, thy name is 4th place." Nothing like watching the people in front of you drop like flies.

1714769563684.png

I won't say - I repeat, I won't say that there's the smallest chance I might be able to stay in DR A. Nope, I wouldn't say that out loud and tempt fate.

Then I bought one of the latest and greatest mountain bikes and over the course of a year I improved and dominated my local home trail to end up fastest (king of the mountain).
That is so fantastic - good for you! Although I have to say that the difference a quality mountain bike makes is a MUCH greater difference than moving to good sim racing gear. After all, people excel with using just the controller, but pedalling a bike that weighs less, has less friction in the moving parts, and is more stable is an advantage that just can't be denied. (I hope that made sense.)

I don't think we can deny that Fanatec's PS5 offerings have exploded in popularity over the last year or so given how terrible Fanatec was at meeting demand. Those bases and wheels allow racers to drive at a level they might not have had before
I disagree with this quite a bit, vehemently if I'm honest.

Tidgeney puts times in with a pad, you go over to the TT thread and some of the pad guys are absolutely smashing it with sub top 50 times.

So I disagree that equipment is artificially pulling people forwards.

Looking at the numbers I think the wheat is being cut from the chaff. You stick with it or you don't.

Edit:

Jeddah is using a TGT and he's plenty fast enough?

Last edited:
I think the general speed has increased across the board.

When I joined this forum (2nd time I have behaved mods!) I was joining to gain speed.

A few years down the road and I've found some of that speed...but it's relative to everyone else improving.

I hand in heart think that regardless of DR you are going to face tighter lobbies that this time last year.

There are more than ever track guides, more hours put in etc that's moving things up and to the right.

And more people better at the game or investing in hardware that may or may not help them.

Covid obviously got more people playing the game and those that stuck with it were doing better after more practice.

This isn't intended to be condescending but just a bit more QT will help you escape C and just focus on top 5. B the same thing applies just at the higher end it's A pace.

Focus on QT, circuit experience you'll smash through the C lobbies
Agree, QT is vital. Also consistency comes from practicing for a good QT, which in turn improves race pace.

I’m also stuck in C right now b/c I’m crap at Suzuka! If it were Spa or Laguna I would probably be back to B.

To be clear, this is not a complaint; as long as I’m having good, close, clean racing, I’m happy regardless of DR.

@TheNormsk makes a good point re equipment improvements, particularly the affordability of DDs and load cells in the last year or so, which would track my claim of a recent increase in competitiveness.

That is so fantastic - good for you! Although I have to say that the difference a quality mountain bike makes is a MUCH greater difference than moving to good sim racing gear. After all, people excel with using just the controller, but pedalling a bike that weighs less, has less friction in the moving parts, and is more stable is an advantage that just can't be denied. (I hope that made sense.)
I disagree with this quite a bit, vehemently if I'm honest.

Tidgeney puts times in with a pad, you go over to the TT thread and some of the pad guys are absolutely smashing it with sub top 50 times.

So I disagree that equipment is artificially pulling people forwards.

Looking at the numbers I think the wheat is being cut from the chaff. You stick with it or you don't.

Edit:

Jeddah is using a TGT and he's plenty fast enough?
Okay my analogy was from the perspective of someone who can't drive at all with a pad but can only use a wheel. Of course I know that there are a lot of very talented people using just pads (@GOTMAXPOWER for example) and older wheels (@EbrahimX7). I just found that my improvement increased a lot with nicer gear. Without it I would probably still be running around mid B and be perfectly happy with that. With the nicer gear, my slower neanderthal brain was able to make better speed from the improved feel from the wheel and solidity of braking platform.

Everything you all say is just as valid.

Last edited:
Heading into Road Atlanta's Race C to shave down my QT in the Gr.3 NSX proved to be an excercise in frustration, so I hopped back into Suzuka's Race B with the Gr.4 NSX, where I managed a 2:10.719 QT. Let's try to work on that C/S rating a bit before I tune in to Miami's F1 Sprint Qualifying...

Race 1: Started P3. Took advantage of the slipstream from the cars in front of me to stay close, capitalized on their unforced errors, and clocked my 5th win! P1!

Race 2: Started P5. Got a bump on Lap 1 before the Esses, and fell back to P16 (last). Worked my way up to 8th with some risky passes on the inside of 130R and the outside of the Hairpin. Had a Senna/Prost moment heading into Casio on the last lap, with me on the inside going for P7, but the Alfa DTM wasn't having it, and nearly shoved me off. The Caymen behind me capitalized, leaving me to finish P9.

Race 3: Started P7. Got pushed wide going into Dunlop on Lap 1 and fell down to P14. Dragged the NSX up to P8, but the guys in front of and behind me were, well... aggressive. Finished P9.

D'oh! Forgot the check how much time I had before Sprint Qualifying, and entered another race.

Race 4: Started P7. Avoiding mistakes got me as high as P5 at the Hairpin on Lap 1, but a traffic jam at Casio saw me getting shoved down to start Lap 2 in P12. Fought my way back to finish P8.

Short break to cheer on McLaren. Bummer, thought Lando would've gotten Pole. Piastri did well.

Race 5: Started P3. Went into Spoon a little wide on Lap 1, and got pushed wider, dropping me down to P13. Made too many mistakes trying to recover, and finished P11.

Race 6: Started P2. The lead Megane shot off into the distance like a rocket, but made a fatal error just before the Esses on Lap 3. I managed to stay ahead of a charging Supra to finish P1!

Good a time as any to call it a day, bookending poor finishes with wins.

Dramatic Re-enactment of Races 2, 3, 4, and 5:

Et4DSvv.gif

Looking back, those P1s were too close for comfort. 😮

full

full

Last edited:
With the nicer gear, my slower neanderthal brain was able to make better speed from the improved feel from the wheel and solidity of braking platform.
I've only ever personally used a wheel and pedals, but I'm sure I'm the same. It also seems to me that if someone invests in good gear, they might also be more motivated to continue to use it, and probably get better at the same time.
This had me starting P6 in the last race, instead of P10 or worse.
And... this time it had me starting P10. Looks like I need to find a few more tenths. Assuming I'm still motivated. I mean, I'm ranked 1,369 and I'm starting P10... This air is so rarified for me that I can't even breathe.

Agree, QT is vital. Also consistency comes from practicing for a good QT, which in turn improves race pace.

I’m also stuck in C right now b/c I’m crap at Suzuka! If it were Spa or Laguna I would probably be back to B.

To be clear, this is not a complaint; as long as I’m having good, close, clean racing, I’m happy regardless of DR.

@TheNormsk makes a good point re equipment improvements, particularly the affordability of DDs and load cells in the last year or so, which would track my claim of a recent increase in competitiveness.
You were in that screenshot from my first race of the day! Congrats on converting that P5 into a P3. 👍

The photos of everyone’s space/ setups this week has been great for me. Of all of them mine sucks the most but, I’m looking to upgrade and I’ve got some great ideas based on what I’ve seen. The setups alongside the wife will absolutely not work for us though. Also, I’m beyond caring about get laughed at by her when she see’s me climb in to race.
I would like to get something where I can roll the entire setup out of the way.

The photos of everyone’s space/ setups this week has been great for me. Of all of them mine sucks the most but, I’m looking to upgrade and I’ve got some great ideas based on what I’ve seen. The setups alongside the wife will absolutely not work for us though. Also, I’m beyond caring about get laughed at by her when she see’s me climb in to race.
I would like to get something where I can roll the entire setup out of the way.
IMG_5404.jpeg

Im on wheels. Also note the l33t 70yr old attic dwelling foot stool precision angled so the stand doesn’t run away under braking 😎

The tv’s for replays and menu’s. Driving is VR

Sorry this is a day late.

Clearly it's not plugged in or turned on, but this is my setup for when I'm wheel racing and not being lazy and using the pad (99% of the time).

Chair rolls back under braking, pedals/wheelstand moves under any pressure unless its wedged neatly against the TV unit, I need to at least get a non slip mat and a lock for the chair wheels 😂😂

(Thrustmaster T150, 14 year old Wheelstand Pro)

IMG_20240504_072732.jpg

Last edited:
OK humble opinions needed (3rd race in list)

Race 1 yesterday - Fairly straight-forward, finished in P5 (+1 position) in a close and fair race.

Race 2 - Start in P3, finish Lap 2 in P2 and within a car-length of P1. Stays that way until the last half of Lap 4 when the car forgets that turning the steering wheel should also turn the car... Finish P7.

Race 3 just now - Start in P5 and first lap goes well, we start gapping everyone behind and then P4 and P3 start to get frisky. I pass P4 at the exit of Spoon and P3 entering 130R after the slow each other down.

Then it starts... P4 brakes aggressively on the final chicane, bumping me as we exit onto Lap 3 and I think he possibly tried steering into me after recovering the car. I knew he wouldn't stop. So when it gets to Turn 1, I let him past after (surprise, surprise) more contact.

At the end of Sector 1 on Lap 3, P5 behind, after a series of bumps and not allowing me to take the corners well, cuts the corner, side-swipes me and tries to run me off track! I manage to keep it on the tarmac and then Spoon final lap, karma kicks in and he spins out, handing me P4 and manage to keep the position with P5 very close behind.

1714825061770.jpeg
1714825209490.jpeg

1714825107573.jpeg
1714825121021.jpeg

Was the contact in the race within the rules of fairness or too much? I think some of the hits could have been ok, but the constant hits and the obvious shoving crosses the line in un-sportsmanship behaviour, in my opinion.

Last edited:
OK humble opinions needed (3rd race in list)

Race 1 yesterday - Fairly straight-forward, finished in P5 (+1 position) in a close and fair race.

Race 2 - Start in P3, finish Lap 2 in P2 and within a car-length of P1. Stays that way until the last half of Lap 4 when the car forgets that turning the steering wheel should also turn the car... Finish P7.

Race 3 just now - Start in P5 and first lap goes well, we start gapping everyone behind and then P4 and P3 start to get frisky. I pass P4 at the exit of Spoon and P3 entering 130R after the slow each other down.

Then it starts... P4 brakes aggressively on the final chicane, bumping me as we exit onto Lap 3 and I think he possibly tried steering into me after recovering the car. I knew he wouldn't stop. So when it gets to Turn 1, I let him past after (surprise, surprise) more contact.

At the end of Sector 1 on Lap 3, P5 behind, after a series of bumps and not allowing me to take the corners well, cuts the corner, side-swipes me and tries to run me off track! I manage to keep it on the tarmac and then Spoon final lap, karma kicks in and he spins out, handing me P4 and manage to keep the position with P5 very close behind.

View attachment 1352633 View attachment 1352636
View attachment 1352634 View attachment 1352635

Was the contact in the race within the rules of fairness or too much? I think some of the hits could have been ok, but the constant hits and the obvious shoving crosses the line in un-sportsmanship behaviour, in my opinion.

Didn't see any issue end of lap 3 end of sector 1 - watching from 4.40 to 5.40.

Unless I'm wrong, I didn't see any side swipe there, all seemed fair.

Latest Posts

Back