Unpopular Opinions - General Thread

• Thread starter Carbonox
  • 2,983 comments
I wrote this post when I was 27 and 4 years later I stand by it. The threshold appears to be around the age of 30; I turn 32 this year and I can drink a little bit of red wine here and there whereas I avoided it completely in my 20s.
I started having the red only because of the false belief that it was healthier. Guess when you age the bitterness becomes nicer

I started having the red only because of the false belief that it was healthier. Guess when you age the bitterness becomes nicer
Ah, I would have thought younger people were just priced out of red wine. Its not that expensive, but still...

White wine is cheaper to get drunk with, but I guess at some point people get bored of having the coordination of a 2yo and just want to enjoy what they are sipping.

Ah, I would have thought younger people were just priced out of red wine. Its not that expensive, but still...

White wine is cheaper to get drunk with, but I guess at some point people get bored of having the coordination of a 2yo and just want to enjoy what they are sipping.
£3.38 vs £3.29 for same strength 75cl bottles here in the UK, to me it's always been the effects the next day that dictate drinking White instead of Red, there's basically nothing in it price wise if you're just looking to get drunk.

I prefer faded song endings than hard endings in many cases. Fadeouts really reduce the stress of many songs IMO.

Also just because a song is uptempo doesn't mean its impersonal and for slowtempo opposite.

A possibly unpopular opinion I have is the state of modern fandom and the internet’s influence on it in general. It’s definitely had a largely negative impact on the state of many media franchises and the discourse surrounding them.

You guys ever notice how (X) new entry in a new franchise, whatever that franchise may be, always seems to have its value judged by how similar it is to (X) older entry in the same series? Obviously not everyone in a fanbase holds this sort of religiosity toward past version of their preferred IP, but it seem like a lot, if not most of the discussion surrounding most modern entries in long-running series is people judging it for how much it deviates from the franchise’s established norms.

Take Star Wars for example, The Mandalorian was a huge success and everyone was watching it. It has baby Yoda, they visit 10 different versions of the bar on Tatooine every season and the main character looks like the cool armour dude from the original movies. Meanwhile Andor avoiding the space battles, explored new and interesting locations and delved deep into the political side of things with very tight writing… and nobody watched it. People complained about how “boring” it was and that there wasn’t any cool lightsaber battles or space dogfights, etc.

This is a hard one to prove objectively but I just feel it somehow. This strict adherence that rabid fans of many franchises have to demanding how everything must live up or surpass an older entry to be considered worthy, to studios producing more of the same pandering schlock in a desperate attempt to give people what they think they want to see by regurgitating self-referential tropes and meta humour out the wazoo. I feel like it’s stifled a lot of creativity in fictional media over the past decade or so. Nobody’s afraid to take risks or try anything new with their stories or franchises anymore in fear of being review-bombed or upsetting the vocal die-hards.

Last edited:
This is a hard one to prove objectively but I just feel it somehow. This strict adherence that rabid fans of many franchises have to demanding how everything must live up or surpass an older entry to be considered worthy, to studios producing more of the same pandering schlock in a desperate attempt to give people what they think they want to see by regurgitating self-referential tropes and meta humour out the wazoo. I feel like it’s stifled a lot of creativity in fictional media over the past decade or so. Nobody’s afraid to take risks or try anything new with their stories or franchises anymore in fear of being review-bombed or upsetting the vocal die-hards.

I'm not saying this doesn't happen, but I don't think Star Wars is the best example. Look at how far it's come in a decade. Sure, there's fan service, but consider what Star Wars was before the Disney Purchase, and what they've done since, where the stories and characters were in the EU versus what's happened since... Dead Han and self-exiled hermit Luke...

I'm not sure it's fair to say no one watched Andor, it was unfortunately hemmed in by telling only a very specific back story, the outcomes of which we largely already knew, and I think it's less interesting or accessible for the casual viewer that isn't a Star Wars fan and was probably less appealing to as wider demographic, but Disney still made it, and they gave it the budget to do it justice, and it's sitting there with a higher audience score on Rotten Tomatoes.

I don't disagree that toxicity in fandom is a problem, but I think it's more of a problem for the communities around the work, than it is for the makers of the work.

Speed humps/bumps are great.

ignites hate in 3…2…1…
Great for test drives where you're trying to duplicate a customer's ride noise complaint.

[summons remaining courage to not say anything bad]

Great for test drives where you're trying to duplicate a customer's ride noise complaint.

[summons remaining courage to not say anything bad]
Aside from the speed management element, they do have many other functions.

I can tell how much air is in my tyres from the bumps in my neighbourhood.
And if something is gonna fall off, it’s better for it to happen at low speed than on the highway.

Ok here's one that'll actually get me crucified and I wholeheartedly believe.

Driveclub sucks. I hate how nostalgic everyone is for it nowadays. When the game came out literally everyone was blasting it for having no content and being half-baked in basically every area besides the sound design and graphics.

Wow they added some DLC cars, how crazy!

The handling is atrocious. Both the main handling and the other "simulation" or whatever mode they added later on. They both suck booty. Every car I've ever driven in the game handles like a wet rag.

Also the career mode is an event checklist, like Grid 2019. It's not good, guys. Stop saying it is.

The only thing Driveclub has going for it for me is it looks and sounds nice, and there are a few unicorn cars you can't find in many other games in the car list. That's it.

Oh, don't mind me, just barricading my door.

Last edited:
Ok here's one that'll actually get me crucified and I wholeheartedly believe.

Driveclub sucks. I hate how nostalgic everyone is for it nowadays. When the game came out literally everyone was blasting it for having no content and being half-baked in basically every area besides the sound design and graphics.

Wow they added some DLC cars, how crazy!

The handling is atrocious. Both the main handling and the other "simulation" or whatever mode they added later on. They both suck booty. Every car I've ever driven in the game handles like a wet rag.

Also the career mode is an event checklist, like Grid 2019. It's not good, guys. Stop saying it is.

The only thing Driveclub has going for it for me is it looks and sounds nice, and there are a few unicorn cars you can't find in many other games in the car list. That's it.

When I tried the game again after a few years, I was like: "Wow, this is much worse than I remember. Why did I play it for soo long?"
It is not worth coming back to because there's nothing about it that stands out compared to other titles.

Last edited:
Screenshot from 2023-09-26 01-15-07.png

Its me. I am the horde.
[...]
[...]
This is the only thing I have any real gripe with. I don’t think there is any racing game that I have played whose career mode wasn’t either an event checklist, or a glorified version of one - whether it be a repeating championship, open world with events scattered everywhere or otherwise.

Good racing games have good track design and mechanics supplemented with interesting modes/challenges. Everything else is fluff imo.

I've been shot down on other websites for this one because of how trendy one particular working environment is.

I hate home office work.

Sure, it's nice to fall out of bed and straight to work but to me, home is home. I need to have my home space and work space be two different places. Actually going to a different place, a different building, to do work is way better. I've experienced home office work as most people have by now and it really affects me when my work space is the same as the place I'm supposed to relax, unwind and have my personal life in.

I've gotten stick for this opinion with people replying about how they dislike or can't afford commuting, how they hate the soullessness of an office and all that crap. Which is fine... for you. I never said that nobody should have or do home office, I don't advocate on the behalf of commerical building investors, it's just that I don't like it.

Yes, it depends on your job but you know what I'm getting at.

I've been shot down on other websites for this one because of how trendy one particular working environment is.

I hate home office work.

Sure, it's nice to fall out of bed and straight to work but to me, home is home. I need to have my home space and work space be two different places. Actually going to a different place, a different building, to do work is way better. I've experienced home office work as most people have by now and it really affects me when my work space is the same as the place I'm supposed to relax, unwind and have my personal life in.

I've gotten stick for this opinion with people replying about how they dislike or can't afford commuting, how they hate the soullessness of an office and all that crap. Which is fine... for you. I never said that nobody should have or do home office, I don't advocate on the behalf of commerical building investors, it's just that I don't like it.

Yes, it depends on your job but you know what I'm getting at.
For me too, work space needs to be a removed from home space. A different room won't cut it, it has to be a separate building. A building 100 metres down the road would be fine - indeed, ideal, as it skirts the commuting issue - but like you, I couldn't relax in what would feel like a work environment.

(Edit to add: also a different building from my fridge. Hard to get impromptu snacks when I'm 100 miles away from it.)

Happily for me it's a non-issue as I can't work from home as a lorry driver; for most truckies it's the other way around, of course, although not the driving I do.

I wonder if the people you've been discussing this with hold a "my way of thinking is the only right way" about other topics?

Last edited:
I hate home office work.
That’s probably not as unpopular as it should be.

When I was working from home, the lessons themselves were awkward but the admin and actual keyboard work I couldn’t touch because it was at home.

Another downside was all the “free” time to get drunk. Nobody knows youre half cut if you only say hi and bye at a virtual meeting.

Honestly, I can understand wanting to separate home and work life. You have a different mindset on when working from when you're at home and just want to unwind.

When going to college, I found myself having an easier time doing research papers or projects whenever I was on campus versus at home. Mainly because I found it easier to get distracted and procrastinate when I was at home, but choosing to stay on campus longer to do those projects helped me overcome my procrastination. Being in a different building can help get you in a more productive mindset.

Though with that said, as someone that's more recently done remote work; I've been able to adapt and get used to it. I kinda enjoy now as a matter of fact; I just need to have a TV show on in the background and I can stay on task.

As someone who "commutes" comparatively ridiculous distances to get to work, I scoff a little at those who whine about having to show up at the office once or twice a week. Working from home is nice every so often, but I find it eventually brings out a little bit of my laziness from its dungeon, trying to ensnare me. Almost any routine can get monotonous after a while, so I'd probably look forward to a little variety, even if in the little things. But I suppose I crave that in different ways and doses than others.

Last edited:
I much rather work outside from home myself. Going outside my home makes me more motivated to do work.

Thankfully my job is now in production (stone engraving) which can't exist in home so not a worry to put in there

I used to be of the mindset that I hated working at home, then the pandemic forced me to work at home. Now, I would commit war crimes if you forced me back into the office. I get so much more done, in less time, with few interruptions working at home. Eight hours of work turned into 4 hours of work just because I didn't have someone coming up to me every 15 minutes asking some stupid question.

I used to be of the mindset that I hated working at home, then the pandemic forced me to work at home. Now, I would commit war crimes if you forced me back into the office. I get so much more done, in less time, with few interruptions working at home. Eight hours of work turned into 4 hours of work just because I didn't have someone coming up to me every 15 minutes asking some stupid question.
So much this 👍

There are zero plus sides to doing my job from the office now. After covid struck and furlow ended our company slashed the work force down to the bare minimum and downsized the office to a much smaller unit. If i was still to work from there, there'd be me and one other guy there 9-5.30 and maybe another two or three who are in and out of the office most days, so i wouldn't even get the social benefits of being there.

Working from home for me is an absolute win-win. With so fewer interruptions i just get so much more done. I'm not wasting over an hour a day sat in traffic burning fuel. The only distractions i get are from my dogs and my wife and that's great, i'm more than okay with those sorts of distractions.

I have a spare room that i used set up as my office, so at the end of my working day i can just shut that door behind me and forget work. But for those without that luxury i can see where the no divide in home/work life could be an issue.

For the two and a half months that I was working from home, I hated it. The first week or two was fine but it quickly became evident that doing my job remotely isn't completely feasible. The amount of "can you go check this classroom out for me?" and "can you send me a picture of that lab?" so I could lay out the social distancing seating was ridiculous. When they asked me to come back to the office, I was more than happy to.

It really depends on what you do and your responsibilities. The main pro for me is obviously the savings on the commute time and more sleep time. Ideally I think a hybrid schedule would be ideal to balance things out (2 or 3 designated days per week).

The downsides are numerous for me:
-Difficulty of cutting off from work when home
-Numerous teams/zoom calls can be draining
-Less collaboration/slower learning amongst the new hires

At my previous place, most of the teams I worked in weren't even in the same location as me, so my first job straight out of uni was (mostly) fully remote - everyone worked well together online. My friends (and leads, managers, etc.) weren't even in the same state as me, so I didn't even have that when visiting the office.

At my current place, I only have to work at the office twice a week - though I still loathe doing it. All this talk about "Collaborating in person helps you work better" falls apart when you're in a packed office where half the people are in noisy Teams calls, and your dedicated team collaboration time (with a calendar block) is completely ignored by others sending you meeting invites.

I had to complete my uni course from home which most definitely robbed me of some connections. There are both positives and negatives to doing work from home. Let's go through some of them.

Positives:
Don't have to commute
More comfortable
Don't have to carry stuff around
Cost effective
You can use your own toilet

Negatives:
Reduced social interaction
Harder to make connections and network with others who may give you a job lead
Group projects are harder to do
Harder to talk to teachers
Too many distractions

Last edited:
You can use your own toilet
I never considered this, but it’s certainly is a benefit of working at home.

We have 2 toilet stalls on my floor to cover maybe 30 young boys and they haven’t all been house trained yet. Sometimes I have to go to the upper school building to take care of business because the state of the Kindy loos are too much for me to deal with.

Adaptations are usually better than the Source Material

The advantage of Adaptations is they can retroactively fix or cut out mistakes of the source material. Wings of Fire Graphic Novel adaptation helps not make the story seem lost and more streamlined than the Novels and retroactively insert character elements that come up in later books while in the Novels, they just come out of nowhere or even have contradictions.

I never looked into Harry Potter but I did have a gazer at some discussions about it for writing my own story and a lot of the stuff the movies cut out seem to be for the better, especially when it comes to Hermione.

Don't get me wrong, there are horrible adaptations, Netflix Death Note comes to mind, however when an adaptation still keeps the core of the work, it usually ends up better than the "more detailed" original version

Back