favorite drummer and best drummerMusic 

• Thread starter Bam
  • 171 comments
Yep, that look definitely says "pure joy".

:P

These may serve as a better representation of his happiness.

62712ED1-69AD-45B3-91F8-2B0B5D5641DD.jpeg
D8D40DF6-6FD2-4DA7-AC0D-799C21388D5F.jpeg
BD9B7776-B65B-4F66-AAB2-C17ACE9A1E59.jpeg

Last edited:
No mention of Carl Palmer ELP, I mean the man used a complete 18 wheeler for his drums back when I saw them each had a trailer for their stuff. The second loudest band I've seen the loudest being Slade. Slade was loud but not trying to outdo each other just loud and very clear even for the 70's.

On the subject of prog drummers (by virtue of Carl Palmer of Atomic Rooster, Asia and as the "P" of the aforementioned ELP), I have to give it up for Nick D'Virgilio.

Spock's Beard, Big Big Train, solo work, session drummer extraordinaire replacing Phil for Genesis' Calling All Stations, and in the capacity I first took note of him as drummer for Kevin Gilbert, particularly for Kevin Gilbert & Giraffe performing Genesis' The Lamb in near entirety at ProgFest '94.

Technical ability abound, but with that crazy laid-back style making it look so easy.

Thinking about prog and jazz fusion guitarist Allan Holdsworth, his work with The Tony Williams Lifetime, and I'd be remiss if I didn't throw the jazz fusion pioneer into the mix.

[Edit] Of course Allan was also a member of the progressive rock supergroup U.K. with Bill Bruford (who's already been mentioned here, but it bears repeating). Here's Bruford pounding it out in their biggest hit:

Last edited:
Steve Jansen of Japan and others.

Of course if this thread was geared toward bassists, I'd be offering up the same example in support of Mick Karn.

Last edited:
@TexRex are you just trying to name all of the drummers? Here's a fun solo... no idea who this guy is but he's got skills.

:lol:

Just listing some favorites, either those that register in my mind as drummers or those who jump out to me as I'm listening to music.

That doesn't look like anyone I know to habe worked with Maynard, let alone during the Big Bop Nouveau period, and Maynard announcing the name really doesn't help any. I need to dig deper because that was pretty fantastic drum work.

A peculiar and accidental dropped beat in the opening "hook" or drum intro - 'boom, boom-boom, POW' - was first copied that I know of by Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons in Rag Doll, recorded the following year. Click on the Billboard link to read, see, and hear how much it has influenced pop music since then.

What Is It About The Ronettes' 'Be My Baby'? Some of the Countless Artists to Lift the Iconic Drum Beat Weigh In

https://www.billboard.com/articles/...e-my-baby-drum-intro-artists-sample-interview

The recording started with an accident. “I was supposed to play the snare on the second beat as well as the fourth, but I dropped a stick,” drummer Hal Blaine said in 2015, recalling the start of the 1963 session with Phil and Ronnie Spector (then 19-year-old Veronica Bennett) that produced The Ronettes’ legendary single “Be My Baby.” “Being the faker I was in those days, I left the mistake in and it became: ‘Bum-ba-bum-BOOM!’ Soon, everyone wanted that beat.”

This is one of those rare cases in which an artist isn’t being hyperbolic about the influence of their own work: Everyone did want the beat, and to recapture the song’s transcendent production -- the first time Phil Spector would record with an orchestra to create his now-iconic “wall of sound” aesthetic, which was anything but an accident.

Per the song’s now-mythic origin story, Spector made the orchestra rehearse the song 42 times before he started recording, and Ronnie spent three days getting the vocals right -- a style of recording that’s standard now, but was anything but in the early ‘60s. The backing band was a supergroup before there were supergroups, with Leon Russell on keyboards and Darlene Love, Sonny Bono, and a 17-year-old Cher on backup vocals.

“Be My Baby,” released as The Ronettes’ first single, peaked at no. 2 on the Hot 100 in October 1963 -- but its influence was much more enduring than even its record sales and radio play.

Beach Boys leader Brian Wilson has called it his greatest inspiration, and the “greatest record ever produced.” “I felt like I wanted to try to do something as good as that song and I never did,” he told the New York Times in 2013. His efforts were most explicit on “Don’t Worry Baby,” a 1964 hit that paraphrases the “Be My Baby” groove and lush sound -- one of the earliest of a legion of imitators that would keep the song feeling as ubiquitous today as it was 50 years ago. (Billboard recently ranked the song at No. 1 on its list of the greatest girl group songs of all-time.)

Some of the many artists who’ve recently reprised the song’s famous drum intro spoke to Billboard about The Ronettes’ impact on their work, and just what makes the seemingly simple song so unforgettable.

I just listened to Snarky Puppy's We Like It Here album and would have to say their drummer Larnell Lewis deserves a mention.

Last edited:
He's not my favourite drummer of all time but "against all odds" I finally found a Phil Collins performance that I enjoyed. Featuring James Carter on sax.

I haven't read the whole thread, so don't know if they have already been suggested, but any list of the worlds top drummers should include Jacob Armen and Tony Royster Junior - both were child prodigies - already better than most drummers before they even left school!

First Tony Royster Junior at age 12:

Second Jacob Armen at age 7:

Spectacular stuff, @UKMikey. It looks like he's falling asleep, but danged if he's not pounding away.

Here's a live cut of my personal favorite post-Holdsworth Soft Machine track, "The Tale of Taliesin":

Obit. Medley includes almost universally known drumming .

from the wiki: Hal Blaine (born Harold Simon Belsky; February 5, 1929 – March 11, 2019) was an American drummer and session musician,[1] estimated to be among the most recorded studio drummers in the history of the music industry, claiming over 35,000 sessions[1] and 6,000 singles. His drumming is featured on 150 US top 10 hits, 40 of which went to number one, as well as many film and television soundtracks.

My favorite Hal Blaine story dates from just after his returning from the Korean War, during his days in music school on the GI bill. At night after the schoolday was done, Hal would play drums in a near-by stripper's club, playing whatever music the stripper wanted to accompany her act. And that's really the essence of Hal Blaine's drumming, IMHO. He would do whatever it took to make the performer look and sound their best, to make the performer succeed commercially. On rare releases and B sides, Hal could be heard playing the jazz rhythms he and the Wrecking Crew preferred when the producer's red light wasn't on.

Did you hear the story about the drummer who became so depressed he threw himself behind a train?

Da Bum Tish

Back