GT4 Tuning Guides - Part 2 added 22/03/06

• Thread starter Scaff
  • 150 comments
you need Adobe to access the files?? i just downloaded them and yeah, they were unsupported file types.., this sucks..,

whats up everyone. this is my 1st post. looking aorund the forum for a complete tuning guide, i keep getting guided here. by the looks of all the kudos you've recieved, this must be impressive.

one problem though...

is the link still good?

i'm having no luck with the dl.
thanks for your time scaff

peace,
gmt

you know not all of that is correct scaff (the first post) i had no idea wht i was doing when i messed around on the game i was able to complete many races with messing around i can make a cars top speed high so that my car has a less chance of over reving.

i sugest you take my words in a kind maner because i have been able to win many many races, especialy with a mucked up game. i can make a great deal with a disc that only allows certain races to be played yet i could still get a B and A licence which i could not get without GT4 prologue.

i have been able to get a total of 25% and more but my game mucked up so much it locked and all of half the cources have become un able to be played on but i can still get enough money i can play and win more races with so many more cars.

you know not all of that is correct scaff (the first post) i had no idea wht i was doing when i messed around on the game i was able to complete many races with messing around i can make a cars top speed high so that my car has a less chance of over reving.

i sugest you take my words in a kind maner because i have been able to win many many races, especialy with a mucked up game. i can make a great deal with a disc that only allows certain races to be played yet i could still get a B and A licence which i could not get without GT4 prologue.

i have been able to get a total of 25% and more but my game mucked up so much it locked and all of half the cources have become un able to be played on but i can still get enough money i can play and win more races with so many more cars.

Not all of what is right?

I'm sorry but I have to say that your post actually makes very little sense to me. I have no problem with constructive feedback, however if you believe something I have said is not correct then please say exactly what I have said incorrectly and why.

I also have to mention that in terms of grammar, spelling and pure comprehension I have no idea what you are actually trying to get across here. I've never said that tuning or in-depth set-up is required or a must to win a race, GT4 quite easily allows an overpowered car to be run in most race series allowing very easy wins. Some people tune to win in a more evenly matched (or even a lower powered car), so people tune for On-line racing events and a huge number of people tune simply for the pleasure of it.

Every word in my guides is based on hundreds of hours of testing, so I'm fairly happy with what I have said (and I know from my job how it relates to real world applications). So please don't just say I'm wrong, actually put some facts behind it.

Thanks

Scaff

If you can allow me Scaff, I'm going to TRY to translate this from gibberish to English using my GTP Babelfish Google Altavista McDonald's Happy Meal Translator. :lol:

Alright, I'm guessing but cut me some slack!! :P

You know Scaff, not all of your comments are correct (from the first post). I had no idea what I was doing when I started messing around on the game. I've been able to complete many races from this messing around. I can also make the cars top speed high so that my car has less chance of over-revving.

Don't take my words the wrong way because I have been able to win many many races, especially with a mucked up game. I can make a great deal of $$$ with a disc that only allows certain races in GT4 to be played, yet I could still get my National B and National A licences, which I couldn't get beforehand without using GT4:Prologue

So far on GT4, I've been able to complete 25% of the game and more, but my game mucked up so much it locked up on me, and now about 1/2 the courses have become unplayable but I can still get enough money from the tracks I have, I can play and win more races with so many more cars.

I hope that helps, my brain hurts now from dumbing itself down. :lol:

I hope that helps, my brain hurts now from dumbing itself down. :lol:

Cool and thanks for that. Still don't see how it applies to me or the guides as I've never said anything about it being a must.

:scared:

Scaff

Cool and thanks for that. Still don't see how it applies to me or the guides as I've never said anything about it being a must.

:scared:

Scaff

*shrugs shoulders* Beats me mate. I just translated it and I still can't understand what he means in 1/2 of the post. :lol:

hey, our PC just got Adobe Reader the other day, and i hurriedly downloaded Scaff's Tuning Guide Part 1 & 2.., and i have to say this: "WOOOOOOOWW..,"

i have never seen so much, that much compilation on GT tuning anywhere.., IMO this is COMPLETE, i think you have everything in here, and it's very presentable too (actually i was thinking of printing some of the pages).., although i have to admit, those terms about real-life racing and tuning hurt my head (so much information, can't......absorb....into brain.......aaagggghhhh!!!!) :lol:

nevertheless, this will help me a lot, and not just me, but anyone who has problems in GT4 tuning.., brilliant work, Mr. Scaff.., 👍👍

hey all

like alot of people i'm being directed here and am looking forward to reading all of your gear Scaff! Not only am I looking to get that extra little something out of my car (beginning to tackle the enduro's now :P), but I want to get a better understanding of what it all means!!!!!!!!

hope you all had a great christmas and here's to 2009!

Cowie =)

@ Cowie - you may have to read them a couple of times over before you understand them, like I did.., :D

@ Scaff - they ARE handy 👍

these guides helped me a lot on my garage.., once again, thanks :bowdown:

These files are opening and saving as Windows Media Player files. What's up?

*EDIT* - Nevermind, I looked through some previous pages and found that Rotary Junkie had uploaded them to FileFront, which do work for me. Thanks a lot! Still, if the links are bad for anyone else, you might want to look into that, eh?

Last edited:
Scaff can you tell me how to download the files please,I am running on Windows XP SP3?

Thanks Scaff it worked! it is a brilliant guide :tup:for the good work and it made my car not have heavy oversteer it still has a little but it is controllable:)

Scaff this is awesome! Thanks for your time. I know I'm a bit late on the whole GT4 scene, but I was reading one of your guides when i realized something about the braking section that i was thinking through. Your discussion of normal vs racing brakes was well researched, but with the wrong setup i'm afraid! My guess is that the BMW already had good brakes to begin with. I found a similar situation when i was tuning a corvette one time. barely any difference. Good braking cars won't need racing brakes. Others like my experience with the Ginetta find a need for racing brakes. If you ever see this, thanks for reading it!

Scaff this is awesome! Thanks for your time. I know I'm a bit late on the whole GT4 scene, but I was reading one of your guides when i realized something about the braking section that i was thinking through. Your discussion of normal vs racing brakes was well researched, but with the wrong setup i'm afraid! My guess is that the BMW already had good brakes to begin with. I found a similar situation when i was tuning a corvette one time. barely any difference. Good braking cars won't need racing brakes. Others like my experience with the Ginetta find a need for racing brakes. If you ever see this, thanks for reading it!

Thanks for the feedback and sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this one (I don't pop in here as much as I used to).

In the real world one of the few issues that BMW's have, particularly M cars, is under-spec'd brakes, so to be honest that's not the issue here.

The issue here is that GT4 does not model brake fade at all, and this would be one the principal reasons why you would want to upgrade your brakes.

Have a read of the GT4 & Brakes sticky that is near thus thread for more info on the subject.

Regards

Scaff

Well it may be over a year since the last post, but I'm going to throw a huge thanks to Scaff and everyone who contributed anything to help put these guides together.

I've had every GT since the first release and have been playing GT4 since it's release.
but i've always found something missing from all my cars when they were not running on R-spec tyres. particularly under braking.

Given my favourite vehicle in the garage is the '03 BMW M3 CSL, using the guide and tuning step by step I came out with very similar settings to yours in the end and a package that acutally turns, stops and accelerates very well on SM tyres (with 500BHP) and is now exceptional on RM tyres.
I prefer a slightly tighter LSD on acceleration but that's about it.

it also prompted me to start using the data-logger to see where my settings and any changes were letting the car down, and basically mid-corner speed, on medium to fast corners, has increased significantly and this is easy to see on the track with much less understeer and simply a more planted car.

big thanks for the guides, and i only wish i'd found them years ago!

No problem at all and its good to know they are still of use and interest.

I've already started thinking about and putting together a testing plan for GT5 and hope that a revised and updated version will be up for everyone in early 2011.

Regards

Scaff

No problem at all and its good to know they are still of use and interest.

I've already started thinking about and putting together a testing plan for GT5 and hope that a revised and updated version will be up for everyone in early 2011.

Regards

Scaff

Hi Scaff,

I'm new to GT Planet and am really impressed with what I see in this forum. I too want to thank you for the two guides you've put together. Reading them has sparked my interest in really fine tuning a car. I've completed GT3 years ago and am about 90% done with GT4 (mission 34 still to go!!!:banghead:)

My question, is there a link or a download of the excel spreadsheet you showed as an example in your first guide? I really like the layout.

Thanks Scaff

N91KB

Sorry for the post Scaff....I found the link you provided in another thread. You've done a really nice job explaining tuning in a simple logical manner.👍
PHP:

Last edited:
Back