1.20 Update was a complete missed opportunity

• Thread starter CCCC
  • 145 comments
Can I just bring this forward too? This is lifted straight from the Gran Turismo website about GT7

The Greatest Gran Turismo Experience​

The legendary ‘GT Mode’ makes a comeback as the ‘Campaign Mode’. Returning to the roots of the Gran Turismo experience, players will start from the GT World Map.

The name Gran Turismo stems from the great journeys taken by people in the 17th century, traveling on long routes throughout continental Europe where they would learn and grow. The Campaign Mode of GT7 will again be a place where players embark on unique journeys through the world of Gran Turismo, to create their own individual experiences.

So the GT mode never came back or Campaign Mode. I love how they claim that the Campaign mode will have players embarking on unique journeys to CREATE THEIR OWN INDIVIDUAL EXPERIENCES!

The most linear GT to date.
Just a straight up lie, really.

Kaz definitely wants us to not have all cars early and wants us to spend several years playing to get all the collection.
I take it you can provide a quote to back that up.
I understood the following quote (from " To All Our Players",18/03/2022) as evidence supporting the above speculation. Can we stipulate so?

"We would really appreciate it if everyone could watch over the growth of Gran Turismo 7 from a somewhat longer term point of view."

Kazunori Yamauchi

Not really, as its typically vague marketing speak.
Yes, as is prevalent in many markets. The context for this quote also connoted a very reactive nature; its sincerity is questionable.

Do you feel that Kaz truly desires GT7 players experience the game to be drip-fed like it seems to be?
Do you feel, regardless of his desires, that this slow release is an acceptable strategy? I'm OK with it.

Yes, as is prevalent in many markets. The context for this quote also connoted a very reactive nature; its sincerity is questionable.

Do you feel that Kaz truly desires GT7 players experience the game to be drip-fed like it seems to be?
Do you feel, regardless of his desires, that this slow release is an acceptable strategy? I'm OK with it.
The problem is that it's a 25 year old franchise and it's "growth" comes from the removal of past features.

For instance, the game isn't "growing" if they add selling cars and loading ghosts back in. It's not growing if they add the handicap bonus back into single player.

Growth is expanding and improving upon popular features. For instance, GT6 Quick Race became Sport Mode and they grew it with the addition of the Manufacturer events and Nation events, and of course the DR and SR ratings. And now, in the very next iteration, nothing. Adding 1 race with no DR/SR isn't really growth. Adding a full MODE like that would be. Adding Co-Op racing to single player would be.

They haven't done anything to "grow" the franchise and it is demonstrably less than previous titles (hence the immense displeasure).

it's "growth" comes from the removal of past features
I agree here; restoration of features from previous titles is not growth. In fact, these features like you mentioned never should have been absent from GT7 initial version.

I view growth as additional DRC-type content supplied in managed updates. Examples are cars (and car classes), wheels, paints, tracks, scapes, events, etc. I rather meant that I'm OK with GT7 content being supplied incrementally instead of 100% upon game release. Absence of reasonably expected features existent in previous titles is not acceptable.

Other update adjustments which I welcome (and expect) are management of game aspects like class BOP, penalty parameters (I know, what's that?) & driving physics. Frustrating are times when these are made worse ("Let's secretly add a global tire wear multiplier of 3X").

I'm glad to have this forum so that we might highlight, clarify & amplify our concerns with the game. Thx to all involved; let's keep it civil. ✌

GT7 streamers on YT should have at least a regard and a responsibility of shaming PD and calling them out on gameplay and otherwise.
I think they could ring some bells in PD's face, no?

I understood the following quote (from " To All Our Players",18/03/2022) as evidence supporting the above speculation. Can we stipulate so?

"We would really appreciate it if everyone could watch over the growth of Gran Turismo 7 from a somewhat longer term point of view."

Kazunori Yamauchi
Yep, that's what I understood, but in this forum, if you dont think like them, you are always wrong

A literal drive to those destinations would be a tall order. I think the best they could reasonably pull off would be a map tour with scape locations, which, in my opinion, would be a better use of the scapes feature. At least it would give some order to it.
I don’t think it would be. Especially with the computing power of the PS4 and PS5. Remember, PD gave us the generated point to point rally races. A similar method could be used to drive to a next destination. Could be a two minute or three minute drive. Drive through dry conditions to Monza. Do a race there. Drive to Sardegna at night and complete a night race there. Drive to the Nurburgring in the rain and complete a changing weather conditions race. I wouldn’t expect an actual One hour drive to wherever, but it’s doable.

I don’t think it would be. Especially with the computing power of the PS4 and PS5. Remember, PD gave us the generated point to point rally races. A similar method could be used to drive to a next destination. Could be a two minute or three minute drive. Drive through dry conditions to Monza. Do a race there. Drive to Sardegna at night and complete a night race there. Drive to the Nurburgring in the rain and complete a changing weather conditions race. I wouldn’t expect an actual One hour drive to wherever, but it’s doable.
A short generated route like the track generator is possible, but I know that people would expect the actual drive, like an open world, and that is a massive challenge. If you can't do it right, then at least do it well. A short drive for the sake of driving. along a route that doesn't really resemble the real locations, seems like a wasted effort.

A short generated route like the track generator is possible, but I know that people would expect the actual drive, like an open world, and that is a massive challenge. If you can't do it right, then at least do it well. A short drive for the sake of driving. along a route that doesn't really resemble the real locations, seems like a wasted effort.
Exactly, like the one we got, in that game. A route on a map that wasn’t constructed. That’s why I wouldn’t expect PD to make such a long route, if they did it.

GT7 streamers on YT should have at least a regard and a responsibility of shaming PD and calling them out on gameplay and otherwise.
I think they could ring some bells in PD's face, no?

If you watch the popular streamers consistently enough, you’ll see that they both criticize and praise the game.

Yes, I know… sounds like they’re speaking out of both sides of their mouth because, well…. they kinda are. However, both things can be true at the same time. GT7 does a lot of things right. It also does a lot of things wrong.

Even though it would seem I’m one of the few on this forum who feels like they’ve gotten their moneys worth out of this game 5x over, I know that the game we’ll eventually get,is going to be better than the $70-100 we all spent on it. Some might not be fine with that, and that’s understandable. Personally I’m ok with it. But that’s just me.

Last edited:
If you watch the popular streamers consistently enough, you’ll see that they both criticize and praise the game.

Yes, I know… sounds like they’re speaking out of both sides of their mouth because, well…. they kinda are. However, both things can be true at the same time. GT7 does a lot of things right. It also does a lot of things wrong.

Even though it would seem I’m one of the few on this forum who feels like they’ve gotten their moneys worth out of this game 5x over, I know that the game we’ll eventually get,is going to be better than the $70-100 we all spent on it. Some might not be fine with that, and that’s understandable. Personally I’m ok with it. But that’s just me.
They need to rip GT7 apart constructively. It's easy to do for pete's sake.

In my view, the only thing PD get right is the look of the cars, they're beautiful.

Playing this game for any length of time you soon notice how awfully scripted the AI is. No matter how fast you start the race there's always a car on a certain bend to literally impede you...and that's all they do.
It is so cheap and nasty and illegitimate.

Correcting the AI would go a long way in making me feel more for this game.

Plus, all those Championships along the bottom of the screen are boring as hell. Incorporating a random selection of tracks every time you visit the Championship would be another massive incentive to race in them, making the game more dynamic.

I personally think PD are demented. They're lack of vision is so tragic!

Even though it would seem I’m one of the few on this forum who feels like they’ve gotten their moneys worth out of this game 5x over,
And that's perfectly acceptable, I know many others feel this way as well, most I suspect are viewing GT in isolation.
I know that the game we’ll eventually get,is going to be better than the $70-100 we all spent on it.
You hope that or you believe that, you can't know that.
Some might not be fine with that, and that’s understandable. Personally I’m ok with it. But that’s just me.
Indeed, mainly because we don't know what PD will actually do. I suspect almost no one thought that PDs initial response to the game economy complaints would be to reduce payouts for races (bar two races that were clearly wrong)!

Actions such as that, combined with the seemingly directionless nature of the updates* and DLC have just as many doubtful that PD will be able to adjust course.

*This month was a good example of this, with an Extra Menu added that required you to spend millions on 3 cars for a random part as a reward, cars in a class that have exactly zero curated race events or championships for them! It's poorly considered busy work, with no cohesive thought behind the updates and their contents.

Responsibility? No.

They can choose to if they want, but it's not their responsibility to call out Polyphony. They're primarily entertainers, not journalists. They're free to choose to fill their streams however they want, and if they think there's better things for them to do with their time than rail against Polyphony then they should probably do those instead.
They need to rip GT7 apart constructively. It's easy to do for pete's sake.
They don't need to do anything. If it's so easy, do it yourself. Other people are under no obligation to deliver your message for you.

Responsibility? No.

They can choose to if they want, but it's not their responsibility to call out Polyphony. They're primarily entertainers, not journalists. They're free to choose to fill their streams however they want, and if they think there's better things for them to do with their time than rail against Polyphony then they should probably do those instead.

They don't need to do anything. If it's so easy, do it yourself. Other people are under no obligation to deliver your message for you.
All i'm saying is that maybe they can use their platform to get a head's up from PD about the state of the game seen through players eyes. Cos PD certainly don't have a clue!
They're not just entertainers and they don't have to be journo's, after all they have enough passion for the game as it is; and some are criticizing the game, but it needs to be more of a united response.
You think that if l were to set up a channel by myself l would get heard? Do me a favour.

Anyway, why are you getting so precious and defensive?!
I think you'll find it would be a message delivered for the lot of us who feels that this game has become an all-time letdown and for a 25th anniversary game at that, not just me.

They're not just entertainers and they don't have to be journo's, after all they have enough passion for the game as it is; and some are criticizing the game, but it needs to be more of a united response.
Maybe you could volunteer as an organiser to lead this "united response" then. See how far you get recruiting streamers to your cause and organising for them to respond in a coordinated way.

Or would you just like someone else to do the work for you?
You think that if l were to set up a channel by myself l would get heard? Do me a favour.
Right. That's the point. These people have put a lot of time into establishing their channels and audiences, and they get to choose what they do with them. If you want to do the same, then you go through the same hard work they did.

But you don't get to dictate that they have some sort of responsibility to use their platforms to get your message out. You want this message to get to Polyphony? You do the work.
I think you'll find it would be a message delivered for the lot of us who feels that this game has become an all-time letdown and for a 25th anniversary game at that, not just me.
Oh, are we going straight for insults here?

If you think I'm defending the game, you're very wrong. You should probably check my posting history.

As much as I'd want streamers to do it, I highly doubt they would, and I doubt they could be heard. Not even Gallo was heard, so how could they.
The problem is at the source: PD, but mostly Sony. We all know PD have no two-way communication whatsoever with their fanbase. Checking GTPlanet once a month or every few months (I don't know I'm just guessing, maybe the mods know more than I do) isn't even a one-way communication. Kaz has his own twitter account but I don't know if he personally uses it or has an employee doing it for him. And we don't even know if that person collects feedback, let alone feedback in english!
Sony has Social Media Managers taking care of their own communication channels online (FB, IG, Twitter and maybe others). I checked a few and the replies could be summarized as follows: 70% asking for things to add (mostly cars), 25% generic praising, 5% very generic complaints. So with that in mind, I don' think they can collect constructive feedback to improve the game.

If Sony had a budget for marketing researches, and actually executed them for GT during development, pre-release and post-release, I'm pretty sure they were mostly aimed at their main target, the average player, and not very much aimed at enthusiasts who could give feedback like we do.

If Sony had a budget for marketing researches, and actually executed them for GT during development, pre-release and post-release, I'm pretty sure they were mostly aimed at their main target, the average player, and not very much aimed at enthusiasts who could give feedback like we do.
Sony just want more market share, not more consumer satisfaction from an existing fan base. They will not spend a single penny on improving a product if there is no additional return...

They have our money, and from here it is all about luring the next wave of kids away from rival consoles or NFS to get on board the GT showcase.

All i'm saying is that maybe they can use their platform to get a head's up from PD about the state of the game seen through players eyes. Cos PD certainly don't have a clue!

People like to assume things...

Do you realise streamers despite single player content?
They only care about racing other players and some of them do have contact with PD, not directly with Kaz but they communicate with people that deliver the messages.
Most of the critics they do normally have to do with combos selection..., BOP changes/handling, the effort they make its to balance the race cars so people can have choices in online events/races.., they also make a lot of pressure cause of lobbys.

So all the single player rampage while can make sense for many players for others it doesnt..., for the simple fact that racing in single player mode dont incentivate them to compete...

Anyway.., GT its not perfect, i think in reality offers more content compared to any other racing game, the ability to share replays,liveries,scapes and many other simple things that other games can have but not has deep has GT...
Theres people that only apreciate to drive diferent cars and the variety GT offers its there, you pay the game and the content its there, go play racerroom or Iracing wich are SIMs and then youll understand what im saying..

Anyway, theres games with good campaigns. Probably F1 from EA.., but it only have F1 cars to drive...
I think the game changer will be Assetto Corsa 2..., like in most of the things related to games and development ocidental companies have a diferent aproach to the industrie and game development.

I think thats why many Japonese companys are disapearing, GT its kinda of a good example of that, a AAA game that miss some very fundamental and basic stuff like i mention a couple times already, camera options lacking in a modern game, a simple thing that dont exist in GT...

Lets see how forza motorsport will evolve and Assetto Corsa 2..., i love GT and i still play it but i know the closed vision the team have its not enough to adapt to western/ocidental fine work.

What Gt does well its the balance, being a game that its fun and intuitive while Sims are more focused in the small details like handling/track fidelity in par with to the real world.

GT its an intuitive exageration of all those aspects with very good presentation and beatiful replays that its fun to play in a controller and wheel..., and i think thats why i love GT, it doesnt only try to simulate reality, it mixes both things and i thing its not a bad thing cause reality and moslty the reality of racing inst that fun and can be boring for casual players wich is most of the player base worldwide.

Last edited:
*This month was a good example of this, with an Extra Menu added that required you to spend millions on 3 cars for a random part as a reward, cars in a class that have exactly zero curated race events or championships for them! It's poorly considered busy work, with no cohesive thought behind the updates and their contents.
Part of me realized that this might be a form of gambling/paid loot boxes by proxy. There is no way to directly buy tickets right now, but if you do not have the 2016 Gr.2 cars (or the three Dodge Vipers, the only other Extra Book collection that does not have cars guaranteed from previous menu books or missions) and buy them for sole purpose of getting the tickets, you are basically buying the tickets (although you can only do it once per book).

Last edited:
Unfortunately, most of them dont care for singleplayer or dont play the game enough
It's unlikely that all of them don't know. Rather it's likely they don't want to burn bridges nor kill off any potential sponsors, and avoid dissenting them

Back